So what is happening on Boxing day...?

Go down

So what is happening on Boxing day...?

Post  Ian Smith on Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:35 am

Hi All
thought it would be helpful to post up here what people were planning for Boxing Day? It sounds from locals that the lake is very frozen so no sailing. I think some people were thinking of walking around the lake anyway for a social?

Unfortunately our dog greatly dislikes travelling in the car so it is easier for me to walk closer to home, so I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and lots of good sailing in the New Year (though probably not on New Year's day?) from a distance

Fyi YDSC have cancelled the Brass Monkey on the 27th and are planning a walk around Grimwith instead...in case anyone wants to join them
bw
Ian

Ian Smith

Back to top Go down

Re: So what is happening on Boxing day...?

Post  tomwhite on Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:22 am

Not a bad turnout - all things considered. The Ruddocks en masse - with their own water supply, sausages, biscuits etc. Even Harry put in an appearance. The ice looked pretty permanent except for a scummy and suspiciously yellow rim round the edge nearest to the clubhouse (no one seemed to be owning up to it anyway). I ventured out onto the ice, egged on by Helen who assured me that, from her vantage point, it all looked very solid and anyway there was nothing to fear as we had recently updated our Wills. Emboldened by her positive attitude I tightened my vang and strode forth armed only with the ice axe that I had had the foresight to bring up with me. After much furious hacking I finally managed to break through the ice - pretty impressive too as it looks to be about 4-5 inches thick.
What was worrying was the cat's cradle of course marker buoys (1,2, X and 7 I think) that seems to have formed around the Yorkshire Water measuring device. Quite how the mooring lines have arranged themselves under water is anybody's guess but it'll either make for some interesting untangling or a VERY interesting course.
Happy Christmas - see you (some of you?) on New Year's Day? Looks like there'll probably be an overwhelming response to Barrie's request for volunteer ODs. Perhaps not so many for Patrol Boat though.

tomwhite

Back to top Go down